Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Must-Read Books

On Tuesday (2 September 2008), the R.AGE section of the Star newspaper featured an article on reading habits and in one of the sub articles, they highlighted a list of 101 must-read books that was adapted from the book "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" (Peter Boxall, Peter Ackroyd). A book about 1001 books... *sweat*

Source: The Star, 2 September 2008

Anyways, I did an online search on this book and lo and behold, I found the list of the 1001 books in full. I looked through the list and realised a few things:

  • I have only read less than 1% of the books that made it to the list of must read books
  • The books that I have read that made it to the list were all written BEFORE the turn of the new millennium... That tells you how old-school I am...
  • I can't remember how many times I have read Little Women.
  • I can't tell you how much I DIDN'T want to read Treasure Island in English class when I was in school. And the horror of being made to do assignments on that book!! Why can't they pick a more interesting book than that????
  • Some of the books that made it to the list have been sitting on my shelf since year 2003. Wait... that's not right. I did shifted their location to another shelf to make way for my Christian books... Honestly, I love classics and I have been intending to read Pilgrim's Progress, The Idiot, Emma and Les Misérables for like the longest time but I just don't have the time and it's not on top of my priority books... I will TRY to read them soon. Let's wait and see when that will happen... cows may have come home by then.

Interestingly, the website also highlighted that there is actually a group of people trying to read all of the 1001 books... *sweat x 1001 times* ... And NO, I am obviously not going to jump on that bandwagon. I still have my own pile of books to finish. Anyways, reading is fun. Pick up the habit today!

Got to go. Bye for now.

No comments: